Tuesday 17 January 2012

Aldiko Reader for Playbook


I purchased a Blackberry Playbook roughly 3 weeks ago and have enjoyed the experience. My intention is to write a review for the product in the coming days however I noticed that a number of people have asked on line about getting better ereader support for the device. Currently it only ships with Kobo Reader which does not allow importing of books bought from other stores and the ereaders on the App Market are either lack functionality or incur a cost.

Coming from an Android smartphone I was less than impressed that I would need to pay for an ereader app to read my collection of ebooks. So I searched the internet for solutions to the problem and came across the ability for the Developer Beta OS2.0 for the Playbook to install Android apps. This update will be made available to all owners in February.  I decide to “upgrade” to OS2.0 and install Aldiko below is the “How to”, along with getting Aldiko to recognise the books saved on the device.

Start:

First we need to get that Playbook updated to OS2.0 which can be done by going to the following RIM website and registering for the update to be pushed over the air to your device:


Once the registration has been done it takes from a few minutes to a few hours before the update will become available. Once you get the notification install as you would any other update. The Playbook will restart and you are ready to install some android apps but there is one more hurdle before we do that. The .apk files that android uses cannot be installed as is to the Playbook they must be converted to .bar files. Luckily for us this has been done for a number of apps already and so the process for converting will be held over for a later date. Below is a link to a spreadsheet containing a number of apps that have already been tested and converted (and some that have not!):


Download the relevant Aldiko .bar file, along with any others you might be interested in Angry Birds anyone! The process for installing them is the same. Now we prepare the Playbook for installation:
First we need to download and install the appropriate Java Development Kit or JDK below
·         Download:  32bit;
·         Download:  64bit.
Note: The correct one needs to be used for the version of Windows installed on your computer otherwise installer will fail.
Next we need to download the DDPB software that will install the .bar files to the playbook for us:
·         Download: DDPB Installer 1.0.7.msi  (slightly older version which works better imo).
Right so now to turn on dev mode in Playbook, swipe down from the top bezel to get system options. From her go to Security and turn Dev mode on and lastly enter a password of your choice :



Now plug your Playbook into your PC and start up DDPB software and the below screen should pop up:



Dont worry the IP and Password as easy to find, just go to the icon of the man in the previous picture (Playbook Status bar next to Wifi/Battery) and the Password if the one you set for Development Mode.

Next click on “Add” and navigate to the folder where you saved the .bar files from previously. Select one or all of them and then “Check All”. Press the Install button and wait for DDPB to load them to your playbook.

Now it should be done you have Aldiko installed to your Playbook!

One last step is to move you ebooks to the right folder on the Playbook.

·         Open BlackBerry Desktop Software and select files tab on the left hand column:


·         Next Navigate to Misc/Android and once inside this directory create a folder called “eBooks” with a subfolder called”imports”. These are case sensitive as far as I can remember. Now copy you ePub books along with cover art if applicable (or other format) into the imports folder;
·         Once transfer is finished disconnect Playbook from  PC;
·         Lastly go to the Aldiko app in the app drawer and start it up;
·         Once it has loaded and you can see the bookshelf just pull down from the top to get the options menu;
·         Select import and wait;
·         Now all your books should be on the shelf.

I do hope that this helps anyone who had issues with importing books and those that were looking for an alternative ebook reader. And remember once the Playbook is setup to install apps it mearly takes minutes to install them from here on out. So enjoy and stay tuned for a Playbook review and hopefully a guide to getting turn by turn navigation working on the Playbook (currently I have a temporary work around that doesn’t work all the time!).



21 comments:

  1. Do you have the bar file for aldiko ? I cannot convert it :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are no bar files to be found anywhere. The multiupload sites don't work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey guys, sorry about the delay in getting back to ye. Been away and didn't have my playbook with me so couldn't convert apps as needed Pin! :-(

    Will try and get it converted tonight and also if any other apps that ye need please let me know and I will try and do them all together as an apologie ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. No need to apologize. I really appreciate all the time and effort you put in to create this guide. I used it to install the Kindle app and it works great. Found an aldiko.bar file and installed it. The Icon showed up on my playbook but it doesn't work. Hoping yours does. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear it worked for other apps. Would you be able to upload the bar file to dropbox or the like and i can try and test it? I am currently in contact with rim as my signing keys for the apk to bar conversion are not working. Looks like my playbook pin was incorrectly asigned to the files :-( So currently cant convert any .apk android apps not very impressed atm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have dropbox but here's the link to where I got the file.

    http://goodereader.com/apps/blackberry-playbook-android-apps/playbook-android-apps/?did=181

    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Strange thing, the free version is working, the premium version is not...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Got a link for the free version? I can't find it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I installed the app, but when I tried to run it, an error message saying it stopped unexpectedly and never start up. The annoying thing is that the message kept coming up even after I unintalled the app... Any idea? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So far I've tried to convert the premium version and I'm also having the problem of the annoying message even once the app has been uninstalled.... So far I'm the android player doesn't impress me.... Some apps work well some simply don't work at all but none work perfectly, sometime the back arrow doesn't work and some other time, with app designed for both tablet and phone, the app doesn't recognize the playbook as a tablet and therefore were stuck with the phone optimized version (gReader is a great example). To this day in still looking for a good ereader as well as a good Google Reader app for my rss. So far I love the tablet but the app ecosystem really is what limit its potential. I'm still new to both blackberry and android ecosystem but so far I miss how apps are more complete on my iPad Wethersfield its Reeder or simply kobo who have a dictionary on the iPad but not on playbook...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I jave had the same issue with aldiko so have moved to moon reader which is very complete and works well. but i jave to agree the android player does not impress much. Rim should be asking devs to port apps natively or do proper conversions. there is defo a problem with the apk to bar process and is makimg a good product seem half finished etc. I think this was more of an after thought to try and sell the playbook. however i do still use it more than my ipad and tab 10.1. its just more portable and easy to read off. also love the way you can multi task with youtube vid playing in the background. i use youtube alot for listening to music when i read lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have to agree about how the Playbook is more portable than the iPad and this is why Im still trying to get my productive tools over to the playbook. As far as multitasking goes its without a doubt better suited than the iPad. Like I said its more a question of how the apps are built that makes me miss the ipad, wether its tweetbot, reeder, mr. reader or flipboard the app look finished and not as you said half finish as some of the apps look on the playbook, Rim as to find another idea to get a bigger ecosystem as android player wont do it for the business world. I didnt have the playbook pre os 2.0 so I cant comment on how far it has come, I got mine with the free playbook offer by making a native app.... hopefully this offer will bring more native app and not only android player port... Thanks for the suggestion Ill look into moon...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I never heard about the free playbook offer would have been all over that if all i had to do was make an app! Was it in america only or everywhere. the biggest thing since day one is the new email integration which i have to say is very well done and while late was worth the wait .

    ReplyDelete
  14. It was for everywhere, 16gb playbook for free for a new app... Ran from Feb 3 to March 2nd so a bit late. It was the second year in a row they made that special at the very same moment of the year... http://us.blackberry.com/developers/tablet/playbook_offer2012.jsp

    ReplyDelete
  15. Simple question do you use Moon+ free or premium? Because last thing I need is an annoying crash with multiple crash message like Aldiko...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am currently using the premium version if you want the .bar file to test i am more than happy to give it to you. it works very well and is as good or better thank aldiko. i switched due to not being able to find aldiko verion 1.6 as 2.0 and above dont work and because the latest version of moon+ works.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh thank you so much for writing a tutorial that I actually understood. I was having so much trouble getting my books into aldiko, and I luv that app on my HTC phone and really wanted a good book reader for my PB. Finding a good copy of aldiko was the challenge, but thanks to your blog here I finally have my books ready to go!! thank you thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are more than welcome and glad i could help. please let me know if there are any other tutorials you would like or any help :-)

      Delete